Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How I Paid Off My Mortgage........How To Stay Motivated - Part 9

Staying motivated to get out of debt is not easy, especially if you have more than 5 years to go. I did a few things to keep me motivated.
Volunteered to help others get out of debt
Since I was on the debt free journey, I knew there had to be others that wanted the same thing. I began teaching young adults at my church about what I was doing to get out of debt. I am sure I learned more from them than they did from me. This really helped me to stay on track.

Set short-term goals
If you have a large amount of money to pay off, setting short-term goals will help. For example, if you have $100,000 to pay off. Set $25,000 goals, this will help to keep you motivated by achieving smaller milestones.

Celebrate your successes
Celebrate when you hit your milestone of $25,000. (previous example) Celebrating will remind you of all the hard work you’ve put in to reach that milestone. Of course you want to have a small celebration until you’ve hit the ultimate goal.

Tell people that will motivate you
Don’t be afraid to tell others of your plan to get out of debt. You will have many who will make fun of you, but try to surround yourself with people who will motivate you. Blogging is a great way to find supporters.

Create a group of debt free fanatics
If you have a group of friends that are on the same path as you, try creating a money group. This will help you all to be accountable with your money. You’ll also have a support group when obstacles come your way or when you feel discouraged.

Listen to the Dave Ramsey show
Dave Ramsey is the host of a popular debt free radio show called the Dave Ramsey show. It’s a great show to help keep you motivated. I listen to this show every day. I never get tired of hearing people’s lives change and hearing people yell “I AM DEBT FREE”!

This will be my last post on the “How I Paid Off My Mortgage” series. I hope you found some tips that will help you achieve your financial goals and help you pay off your mortgage. If you have any questions for me, feel free to send me an email at callmewhatyouwantevencheap@gmail.com

No comments: